Rwanda grows a broad range of horticulture products include vegetables, fruits, flowers, nuts, and essential oils. Specific products include French beans, snow peas, sugar snaps, eggplant, carrots, cabbage, sweet pepper, chilli, red and white onions, tomato, leeks, garlic, cauliflower, lettuce, courgette, cucumber, avocado, tree tomato, banana, passion fruits, mango, oranges, flowers, and macadamia nuts.
Rwanda’s climate facilitates production of a wide range of fruits, vegetables and flowers throughout the year.
Rwanda’s horticultural products are the highest quality and comply to market standards due to the best agricultural practices that meet the environmental protection measures. With the entry of new investors, Rwanda’s horticulture exports are reaching local, regional and global markets.
Rwanda’s focus for the export market are high value low volume niche products, referred to as specialties, including French beans, sugar snaps and snow peas, mini leeks, baby corn, and baby carrots.
Rwanda’s fresh products are branded under the “RWANDAFRESH Brand” and processed products are certified for the recognized world quality industrial standards. Currently, our producers are under certification process for GLOBAL GAP, FAIRTRADE and ORGANIC standards. Below are some of the products promoted for the export market.
Example Investment Opportunities
Rwanda offers a range of investment opportunities, including:
- Investment in the production of high value, low volume horticulture products (French beans, Sugar snaps, snow peas and chillies)
- Invest in the production of horticulture specialties such as minis (mini leeks, baby corn, baby carrots)
- Invest in horticulture logistics (including cold chain, cold trucks, and pack houses)
- Invest in specified packaging materials for horticulture sector
- Investing in distribution channel including management of the Kigali Whosale Market for Fresh Produce